Didn't take any pictures on Wednesday. Thankfully, Camp Carnival was open (for all kids ages 2-11) So Ava, Aliza, Abbey & Ashley were there from 11 am until 9 pm. It worked out great. They played games, fed them, made crafts and met several new friends.
Wednesday morning our showers were working and we had water (although it was very cold). At that point, who cares at least I could wash my hair and scrub down. I do my best thinking in the shower (probably it's the only place where I don't have any distractions) The thought popped in my mind from Elder Wirthlin, "Come what may and LOVE it." I had a really good talk with the kids about being positive. We didn't choose for this to happen to our family but let's make the most of it and enjoy it!
The cruise director did a great job and encouraged people to help another. We were all in this tough situation and we should try to be positive and look for ways to help each other.
Jason, Alex & I wandered around the boat and talked with many people. We also went to the top deck and enjoyed the sun and fresh air. Luckily I brought a book I've always wanted to read (True Believer by Nicholas Sparks). I sat on the top deck for several hours and enjoyed reading without distractions and no kids yelling "Mom" every 10 seconds. At this point we had flushing toilets, which was a huge blessing!
The meals were the same cold cereal for breakfast and different types of sandwiches for lunch and dinner. Jason ate cold cut up hot dogs with a nacho cheese sauce on a bun for lunch and actually liked it. As for me, I'm a pickier eater and was grateful for a pastrami sandwich. At this point most of the fruit had a rotting smell from being served over and over. Had an interesting dessert of cut up bread pieces with dried fruit. Not too shabby!
I met a lady that couldn't walk very well because of her bad swollen knee. It was too hard for her to stand in line for food so I told her I'd get her some. She was so happy that I would do this small thing for her. Of course, she had to show me her discolored, swollen knee....once again another thing to be grateful for - my healthy knees!
We were told on Wednesday that we wouldn't arrive to San Diego until Thursday. The plan before was to tow us to Ensenada, Mexico and then bus us to Long Beach. Carnival decided it made more sense to tow us to San Diego since the ship needed to go to San Diego, CA for extensive repairs. We were grateful to go straight to the US and not deal with Mexico and the line to go through customs.
Probably the 1 question I am asked the most is what will Carnival do for us. Here's a list of what we've been offered:
* Full refund of cruise (by the time we got home, luckily this was already credited to our credit card)
* FREE cruise credit equal to total of what was paid to be applied to a future cruise and to be used within 2 years
* Refund of transportation costs to and from our home (bummer that we chose to save $ and drive to California instead of fly, but our gas will be reimbursed)
* Free hotel until Sunday morning (we stayed at a great hotel in Long Beach)
* All food to and from California will be reimbursed
* Any charges made to our "Sign and Sail" card on Sunday were forgiven. (Hence why Ashley & Alex's flip flops were free). Wish I would've purchased more!
* All photos taken by Carnival were put in the photo shop and were given free of charge
* On Tuesday & Wednesday there was unlimited soda and alcohol. Alex was in heaven and probably drank 6-10 cans of Coke per day. At that point, who cares? I also lived on Diet Coke. Of course, many people on the ship took full advantage of the alcohol. However, one lame lady complained about not having her favorite brand of beer. Seriously? We are lucky to be alive!
* All items in the mini bar in our fridge was free (once again more alcohol which was no use to us)
Tuesday, November 30, 2010
Stranded at Sea-Our family nightmare cruise vacation turned to rescue operation! DAY 4 (11/10/10)
Posted by Michelle at 2:15 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








1 comments:
So have they decided to refund your Disneyland tickets? I think they totally should! You guys were troopers!
Great job on the blogging - that's great to have all the details while it's fresh in your mind!
Post a Comment