We woke up to the cruise director announcing the coast guard had arrived. This picture was taken from our cabin window and we were so thrilled to know they found us and wanted to help us get off the boat safely.

On Monday, Carnival called and arranged for tug boats to pull us to the shore. Unfortunately, one of the tug boats had mechanical problems and didn't arrive. This is the first tug that arrived and named "Chihuahua" from Mexico. What a relief when the tug boat was able to hook to the front of the ship and start the towing process. This happened Tuesday at about 1 pm. It pulled us very slowly at 4 mph, but at least we were moving.

What an amazing sight to see the USS Ronald Regan aircraft carrier in her glory arrive! WOW! We now felt completely safe. Before I felt like a sitting target for terrorists or pirates. Learned the carrier has approximately 6,000 navy men aboard and travels with submarines and several ships to the side. This shot was taken from our cabin window. What a tender mercy that the carrier happened to be close in the area for a training exercise.

Alex enjoyed his several cans of pop. I'm sure he drank at least 12 cans/day. At that point who cares! Unfortunately, they didn't have "Circle C" for the teenagers open (since most of their activities used electricity). He was a good sport although very bored. We couldn't let him play his Nintendo DS because that was our light to use the bathroom. He actually had a pretty intense dream on Saturday night that our ship was stranded and we had to be rescued. He's a great teenager (almost 14 yrs old in January)

Ava & myself in line waiting for Camp Carnival. I was SO tired of the long lines. Notice my nasty, greasy hair. At this point, I hadn't showered since Saturday morning since there was no running water until Wednesday morning. I was grateful for my freezing cold shower on Wednesday.

Ava & Aliza playing at Camp Carnival. They LOVED it!

Too funny! "VOMID bags!" I've never seen so many strangers throw up. The ship had these throw up bags taped throughout the ship. Also, notice the lovely hot pink dots. Who on earth was chosen to decorate this ship? I like pink but this looked like Pepto Bismol pills on steroids.

Ashley & Abbey with their camp carnival worker. Even in a catastrophe situation, they were still concerned about their hair and appearance. They cracked me up. Ashley one morning was complaining about how her hair looked. I told her "Honestly Ashley, I swear no one will even notice how your hair looks. They just care about food & being rescued."

At about 2:00 pm, helicopters started the process of dropping loads of water, pop tarts and Spam and other needed supplies. My biggest question is why our ship didn't have a full weeks worth of water and other needed items?
One of the biggest problems was we still didn't have a flushing toilet. Many of the cabins now had flushable toilets. Ours was so bad that we had to pee in our bathroom sinks because I didn't want the toilet to overflow. We met a cute LDS family from Canada that became good friends of ours. He was SO tired of the toilet situation that he personally cleaned out his toilet and dumped out all of the "goodies" into his garbage can and flushed it down a working toilet. He said it was the grossest thing he has ever done. The stench was atrocious but we weren't that desperate, at least not yet!
0 comments:
Post a Comment