Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Preschool & Playdough

Aliza started preschool this month at our kid's elementary school. I couldn't decide if I should start her in preschool this year or wait until next year. She still has 2 years before Kindergarten, since she'll turn 4 in December. The preschool at our elementary school is so hard to get into. In fact, they do a lottery to determine who gets into the program. I had made the decision in the springtime when they held the lottery, to wait until next year for preschool. However, one day in August, I had the thought pop into my head about 5 times to call the school & see if they had any openings. I finally called & the lady told me they had a long waiting list, so she probably wouldn't get in. Then a week later, the lady called me & said they had a spot for her. I guess she kept calling everyone on the waiting list until she reached someone that was home. I happened to be here & answered the phone the day she called. I'm still not sure as to the reason why Aliza needs to be in preschool this year, but everything came together so smoothly, that it really feels like it's meant to be for her.

Aliza has really enjoyed this month of preschool. However, she's such a night owl that waking her up on Tuesday & Thursday mornings is like waking her up out of a coma.

With the preschool, if you volunteer 1 day/month or make playdough for the preschool, they take $20 off the monthly tuition. So of course, I gladly volunteered to make the playdough each month! Sign me up!

This playdough is extremely easy to make. So for any of you needing a good playdough recipe, enjoy!

Preschool Playdough

2 cups flour
1/2 cup salt
2 pkg unsweetened koolaid
2 Tbsp cream of tartar
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 cups water

In large pot, combine all dry ingredients. Mix well. Add the oil & water. Stir over medium heat until the mixture is firm and hard to stir. (The mixture changes consistency & look as it cooks). Do not overcook. Dump out of pan on lightly floured surface. When cool, knead until smooth & pliable. Store in airtight container. Refrigerate between uses.

2 comments:

Melissa and Justin said...

Oh, I LOVE ALIZA! She cracks me up! I bet she says the funniest things in preschool. But, my all time favorite......"MAAAAAAAAA-UUUUUUM" while she is standing at the top of the stairs. Or the famous arm folding she does. She is so funny! We miss her!

Joey, Amber, Ken , Ellie, Bruce and Patrick said...

Thanks for the recipe. I'll be sure to try it out!