I'm so glad I didn't miss Oprah yesterday. I hardly watch Oprah, because it's on at 4:00 pm (crazy time at our house with the kids home from school). I probably need to set it up again to record on the handy DVR. She had on one of my favorite's...Peter Walsh, the master of organization! I actually met Peter Walsh in person at a Home & Garden Show at the South Towne Expo center a few years ago with my sister-in-law, Missy. He always has so much excitement & energy about organizing your house and creating the vision for your home.
Peter will be traveling from coast to coast to towns across America, showing you how to kick that clutter out of your homes and your lives," he says. "I know the world outside your front door feels uncertain and unpredictable right now, but that's why it's more important than ever to transform your messy space into a comfortable and safe place that you can call home. No mess is too big and no task is too tall, but Peter knows change takes time. "Clutter robs you of so many things—of peace and harmony and focus and motivation," he says. "If you stick with us for six months, I guarantee that you will have a clutter-free, organized home that is the sanctuary and haven that you deserve." So for the next six months, Peter will be having homework assignments. I SO need this!
Overwhelmed by what to do with growing piles of your child's art projects? Peter has a great solution! "Take digital photos of their artwork, upload them to Snapfish.com, and they will send you back a beautiful, bound book of the kids' artwork. So, over time, you can build a library of your children's artwork—let the pieces go, but keep them in this form forever."To help you get organized, Snapfish.com is offering The Oprah Winfrey Show viewers a free 8" x 11" custom-cover photo book! I thought it could also be fun to make a photo book of one of our family trips. Click here for the details. Don't delay you need to get the coupon by tomorrow, Friday, 11/14.
Peter's homework assignments for this month:
1. Sign the pledge. Peter says, "Get on board because in six months, friends, you'll be so far ahead of the game." By visiting oprah.com you can download your clutter pledge & vision statement.
2. Define your vision for your life and space. "Here's the deal. The vision—what is it that you want from your space? I want peace. I want focus. I want a place where my family can gather," Peter says. "That then has to be the criteria for deciding whether something stays or goes. [Ask yourself,] 'Does this item help me create that vision?' If it does, keep it. If not, it doesn't belong in your home."
3. Commit to 10 minutes a day. Start small and start today with the Trash Bag Tango. "Everyone in the house gets two trash bags. Fill one with trash and one with stuff that's going to [charity] or garage sale. ... Do that for 10 minutes a day," he says. "It doesn't matter how big or how small the bag is, it's just small steps."
So, here's to conquering clutter and getting rid of the CHAOS (Can't Have Anyone Over Syndrome) that me & my family are living in!
Thursday, November 13, 2008
Oprah's Clean Up Your Messy House Tour + Peter Walsh + free gift!
Posted by Michelle at 9:00 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








4 comments:
Hey-we have CHAOS too. It started with a remodel that is like a runaway train...(let's do this, and if we're doing this, we might as well do this-ironically, this was my beloved, not me!)... on and on for 10 months and we're not finished. Not even close. And money ran out on about month 8!! So I'm taking the clutter challenge which will help tremendously. I think I'll write a post about clutter... Thanks for the inspiration. The Snapfish Art books are such a great idea.
LOVE IT!!! Sounds like a great thing to do, and the Snapfish is quite a deal.
So, the big question is...do you still have your autographed 8x10 glossy of ol' Peter? (Or is it now part of the clutter you're cleaning out?!) :) If I remember correctly, you were definitely starstruck with our Aussie friend! Should Jason be a little jealous? :)
Anyway, thanks for the heads-up on the great offer! I got on and signed up for it. FYI - they have extended the date that you have to make the book to November 22 because of high volume. Also, the book is free; you just pay shipping, which I found out is $6.99 (still not a bad deal at all). The travel book sounds like a cute idea - that would be fun!
Hi Michelle,
What a good lookin' family you have! I found your blog link on the BHS '89 website. It has been fun reconnecting with people and seeing what they've been up to!
My husband, Barret & I have 3 boys and live in Ohio.
I read your post about CHAOS and I had to thank you. I am definitly heading over to oprah.com now. I love that Peter said "change takes time". Most of us can't de-clutter "Clean Sweep" style (2 days). This sounds WAY more practical.
Thanks again, and good to see you!
Martha Wilson Blake
Post a Comment